So as I celebrate Mother’s Day, my love and gratitude for Dee Moore wells up for things I can’t seem to find described in greeting cards. These gifts still run with a strong current in my daily life. Here is a sample list of the remarkable gifts my mom has given that mean the most:
- stubborn determination
- passion for rescuing children birthed out of her own childhood pain and loss
- insistence that I take care of the things entrusted to me
- tireless energy as her love language
- nothing but frank, candid words
- meals that were feasts
- courage and resilience against chronic, sometimes debilitating physical pain
- friendship with her grown children marked by tenderness and encouragement
- and finally, an unstoppable and sometimes unnerving adventurous spirit!
These gifts have shaped and stretched much of my identity. I am grateful for a mom whose greatest example to me was to be wholly and unapologetically, herself.