I read the article below this morning and had a brainstorm: What if a group of people/churches in Tulsa who really love teens and young adults could come together to provide long term training, mentoring and shelter to homeless youth in Tulsa? I know there are some great organizations involved already, so this group would be a partner to places like Youth Services of Tulsa and kids aging out of the DHS Foster Care program. Hmmm, it’s certainly got me thinking! Check out the article and stats below and let me know if you’ve got some great idea, info or passion you’d like to offer to the brainstorm!
Tulsa drop-in center helps homeless youth get back on feet story by Mike Averill of Tulsa World
Amber Dueberry was a student at Tulsa Community College and living with her mother until about three months ago.
She and her mom don’t see eye to eye, so she decided to move out, she said. The problem was that she really didn’t have anywhere else to go.
She stayed with friends and couch-surfed for a while. Then, about a month ago, her circle of couches diminished until finally she was homeless, living in a shelter …
Read more from this Tulsa World article at http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=11&articleid=20100817_11_A1_ULNSme321726
- According to the National Alliance to End Homelessness, researchers estimate that 5 to 7.7% of youth experience at least one episode of homelessness each year. Applying those percentages to the number of teenagers in Tulsa County
- Based on national research, 2,837- 4,369 teenagers in Tulsa County experience homelessness each year
- The Tulsa Police Department received 1,022 reports of runaway youth during 2009
- Tulsa Public Schools reports 2,632 homeless youth are attending the district’s schools
- 150-200 youth age out of foster care in Tulsa County each year, according to the local Child Welfare unit.
- Only 30% of youth exiting foster care in Oklahoma have a high school diploma or GED.
Read more stats from this Tulsa World article at http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=11&articleid=20100817_11_A1_ULNSme321726